The chemicals and preservatives in store-bought scrubs leave your skin dull and dry. Ditch them, and do it yourself. Sugar scrubs are an easy DIY project that will give you silky soft skin and are perfect for exfoliating the day before your spray tan!
Our basic sugar scrub recipe calls for three simple ingredients - sugar, oil, and essential oil. You can always add other pantry items like honey for a hydration boost, or caffeine-filled coffee for a skin tightening scrub. We get our essential oils from Meghan of Meghan Joy. If you're curious about essential oils, she's your girl!
To make your scrub base, shoot for a 80% sugar / 20% oil ratio.
- Fill jar 1/2 way with white sugar.
- Add 1-2 tbs melted coconut oil + 1 tbs olive oil + 5-10 drops of citrus essential oil, we like grapefruit.
- Add more sugar to desired consistency.
- Fill jar 1/2 way with raw brown sugar.
- Add 3 tbs melted coconut oil + 3 tbs coffee grounds + 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- Add more grounds or white sugar to desired consistency.
To use the scrub, apply to your body while in the shower. Use gentle circles on elbows, ankles, and hands for deeper exfoliation.
Making sugar scrubs at home is easy, fun, and a little addicting if I'm being honest! There are endless possibilities! Have you made a scrub at home before? What's your secret ingredient?