HOW DOES A SPRAY TAN WORK?
If you cut an apple and let it sit out, it turns brown. The same concept applies to airbrush tanning. The active ingredient in our tanning solution is derived from eco-certified organic sugar-beets that react with the amino acids in in your skin's outermost layer to create the gorgeous tan that you desire.
THAT'S NOT ALL.
The aloe enriched skin soothing solution is applied with a gentle flow of warm air. By infusing heat directly into the tanning spray, there's no dripping or streaking, and definitely no goosebumps. The tan is also dried as it's applied, making for a quick and comfortable appointment.
We strongly believe that spray tanning is not meant to be a "one-size-fits-all" service. That's why we always custom blend the tanning solution for each client based on their skin tone and desired result. We also keep track of tanning formulas, so you don't have to remember if you're a "light" or a "medium" Wait really!? Yes, really. We got you.
WHO CAN GET SPRAY TANNED?
Unlike UV tanning, there is no age restrictions on sunless tanning. Pregnant women may want to consult their physician prior to scheduling an airbrush session. We do not recommend sunless tanning on sun-burned skin. While our solution does contain aloe, it's best to apply pure aloe vera gel to your skin and let it heal completely before receiving an airbrush tan. We have sprayed men and women with of all ages, skin tones, and skin types. If you're curious if a spray tan is right for you, please contact us!
IT'S MY FIRST TIME, ANYTHING I NEED TO KNOW?
These next few questions are commonly asked!
WHEN SHOULD I BOOK MY SESSION?
We recommend coming in 2-3 days before your event or wedding and 1-2 days before vacations. When booking, plan to stay dry for 10-12 hours after your appointment (5-6 hours with the accelerated option). This means no workouts, chores, showers, hair or nail appointments should follow your tanning appointment.
HOW DO I PREPARE FOR MY AIRBRUSH TANNING SESSION?
Please read our preparation + post care page for full instructions for the best results!
WHAT IS THE ATTIRE?
The attire for women is whatever they are comfortable with. The cosmetic bronzers are water-soluble and should wash out, but the DHA in the tanning formula may permanently stain fabrics. Disposable undergarments are provided. The attire for men is boxers, briefs, swim trunks or shorts. Your Glow Lounge airbrush technician will always use the utmost discretion.
WHAT CAN I WEAR AFTER MY AIRBRUSH TANNING SESSION?
We recommend wearing dark, loose fitting clothing. We do not recommend wearing tight or strappy clothing, leggings, or tight socks immediately following your session
SHOULD I SPRAY TAN BEFORE MY VACATION?
Definitely. We aim to provide a healthy tan for any occasion. Consider this essential to looking and feeling the best in your own skin. Our tan holds up well to sun and sea. Because of the drying effect it has on the skin, overexposure to highly chlorinated water such as pools or hot tubs, for extended periods, is not recommended. After the pool, rinse off, reapply your Sunscreen (we love Supergoop!) and enjoy your glow!
HOW DO I TAKE CARE OF MY SPRAY TAN?
Our biggest recommendation for long-lasting results is using spray tan safe products on your face, body and hair. We offer a variety of organic products in our studios along with our signature Gingerly line, that help maintain your results. So, what makes a product "spray tan safe?"
- Always use sulfate free shower gels and soaps. Our favorite is Gingerly Organic Shower Gel. We also recommend sulfate-free shampoo, because it comes into contact with your skin in the shower.
- Moisturize with natural oils like jojoba or coconut oil.
- No mineral oil, petroleum, petrolatum in your makeup or moisturizers.
- No Dove - it doesn't play well with your glow
- Avoid artificial fragrances and colors, the alcohol dries out the skin.
Wait at least 10-12 hours (5-6 hours with our express tan) before showering or bathing. It is not recommended to participate in any activities that may cause you to perspire excessively before your first shower.
HOW LONG WILL MY TAN LAST?
If maintained properly, our tans can last 7-10 days. Some tips to making sure the tan lasts:
- After each shower it is recommended to moisturize. We recommend our Gingerly Nourishing Body Creme, which is available in stores.
- No waxing. This will peel the tan right off your skin. When shaving, use a fresh razor and use a light touch.
- Don’t exfoliate until the tan has mostly faded away.
- Avoid Dove bath products and sulfates petrolatum, mineral oil, liquid parafins, or parabens. These ingredients/products don’t play nice with your gorgeous glow. Check your product's ingredients list to make sure they're free of these ingredients.
- If you have or have recently had a sunburn you should not get a spray tan until your skin has healed.
- If your skin peels while you have a spray tan you will have patchy, uneven results. These results are not caused by the application or color formula used.